The combination of irinotecan (CPT-11), oxaliplatin (L-OHP), 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and folinic acid (FA) is one of the possibilities to overcome chemoresistance in advanced colorectal cancer (ACRC) patients. The aim of this study was to determine the tolerability and activity of CPT-11 plus chronomodulated infusion of L-OHP, 5-FU and FA in ACRC patients. A total of 35 patients (91% pretreated, 77% with CPT-11, 54% with L-OHP, 42% with both) were treated every 3 weeks with CPT-11, 180 mg m(-2) day 1 i.v., plus L-OHP, 20 mg m(-2) day(-1), 5-FU, 700 mg m(-2) day(-1) and FA, 150 mg m(-2) day(-1), all three drugs from day 2 to day 5 by chronomodulated infusion. The patients' (pt) data were as follows: male/female 21/14; median age 58 years (range: 38-70); PS 0: 26 pts (74%), PS 1: 8 pts (23%), PS 2: 1 pt (3%); primary tumour colon/rectum 26/9; involved organs: 1, 14 pts (40%); 2, 17 pts (48%); >or=3: 4 pts (11%); previous chemotherapy lines 1: 12 pts (34%), 2: 10 pts (28%), >or=3: 10 pts (28%). A total of 221 courses (c) were performed; no grade 4 toxicity was observed with only one grade 3 (G3) neutropenia and thrombocytopenia (3%) in one out of 221 courses (<1%). Maximal toxicity (G3) was nausea and diarrhoea in 10 pts (28%), occurring in 14 out of 221 c (6%) and 12 out of 221 c (5%) respectively. Seven patients achieved a partial response (20%, confidence interval (c.i.) 6.8-33.3) and one patient a complete response (2.9%, c.i. 0-8.4), for a total overall response rate of 22.9% (c.i. 9-36.8); 15 out of 35 (42.9%, c.i. 26.5-59.3) had stable disease and 12 out of 35 (34.3%, c.i. 18.6-50) patients underwent a progression. In conclusion, this four-drug regimen is feasible in advanced pretreated ACRC patients with no significant haematological toxicity and acceptable diarrhoea. The activity of this combination is currently studied in EORTC 05011 study.

A phase II study of irinotecan plus chronomodulated oxaliplatin, 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid in advanced colorectal cancer patients

Bria, Emilio;
2003

Abstract

The combination of irinotecan (CPT-11), oxaliplatin (L-OHP), 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and folinic acid (FA) is one of the possibilities to overcome chemoresistance in advanced colorectal cancer (ACRC) patients. The aim of this study was to determine the tolerability and activity of CPT-11 plus chronomodulated infusion of L-OHP, 5-FU and FA in ACRC patients. A total of 35 patients (91% pretreated, 77% with CPT-11, 54% with L-OHP, 42% with both) were treated every 3 weeks with CPT-11, 180 mg m(-2) day 1 i.v., plus L-OHP, 20 mg m(-2) day(-1), 5-FU, 700 mg m(-2) day(-1) and FA, 150 mg m(-2) day(-1), all three drugs from day 2 to day 5 by chronomodulated infusion. The patients' (pt) data were as follows: male/female 21/14; median age 58 years (range: 38-70); PS 0: 26 pts (74%), PS 1: 8 pts (23%), PS 2: 1 pt (3%); primary tumour colon/rectum 26/9; involved organs: 1, 14 pts (40%); 2, 17 pts (48%); >or=3: 4 pts (11%); previous chemotherapy lines 1: 12 pts (34%), 2: 10 pts (28%), >or=3: 10 pts (28%). A total of 221 courses (c) were performed; no grade 4 toxicity was observed with only one grade 3 (G3) neutropenia and thrombocytopenia (3%) in one out of 221 courses (<1%). Maximal toxicity (G3) was nausea and diarrhoea in 10 pts (28%), occurring in 14 out of 221 c (6%) and 12 out of 221 c (5%) respectively. Seven patients achieved a partial response (20%, confidence interval (c.i.) 6.8-33.3) and one patient a complete response (2.9%, c.i. 0-8.4), for a total overall response rate of 22.9% (c.i. 9-36.8); 15 out of 35 (42.9%, c.i. 26.5-59.3) had stable disease and 12 out of 35 (34.3%, c.i. 18.6-50) patients underwent a progression. In conclusion, this four-drug regimen is feasible in advanced pretreated ACRC patients with no significant haematological toxicity and acceptable diarrhoea. The activity of this combination is currently studied in EORTC 05011 study.
irinotecan; oxaliplatin; 5-fluorouracil; colorectal cancer
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11562/873798
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 4
  • Scopus ND
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? ND
social impact