BACKGROUND AND AIMS: The percentage of genetic alterations in spontaneous abortions reported in the literature is between 54% and 76%. The authors felt it was interesting to analyse the frequency of genetic alterations in spontaneous abortions and to establish the correlation between the karyotype and other available data at the time of clinical observation: Beta-HCG values, ultrasonographic imaging, patient's age, parity, week of pregnancy. METHODS: One hundred and twenty samples of trophoblastic tissue taken from spontaneous abortions underwent karyotype analysis. The authors report the correlations between genetic findings and patient age, parity, beta-HCG values, ultrasonographic images and the week of pregnancy. RESULTS: Sixty-two chromosomic anomalies (51.67%) were observed; the other 58 samples (48.33%) were normal. The correlations between chromosome anomalies and the parameters analysed are reported in the other tables and figures. CONCLUSIONS: Neither the ultrasonographic images nor beta-HCG values appear to identify genetic etiology as the cause of spontaneous abortion; this is also true in relation to the week of pregnancy and maternal age. Parity appears to be the sole exception: in this population, spontaneous abortions with a genetic etiology were more frequent in primagravidas compared to other patients. This confirms the fact that hereditary genetic anomalies tend to become evident right from the start of a couple's obstetic history
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.