BACKGROUND Ventriculoperitoneal shunt (VP-shunt) is the standard of treatment for idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus (iNPH). However, a thorough investigation of VP-shunt complications in this population is lacking. OBJECTIVE To present the analysis and the rates of complications progressively occurring during the first year after shunt surgery in the patients with iNPH included in the European multicenter (EU-iNPH) study. METHODS Patients (n=142) were prospectively included in the EU-iNPH study by 13 institutions. All patients received a programmable VP-shunt. One hundred fifteen patients completed the 12-mo follow-up. Reexaminations were performed 1, 3, and 12 mo after surgery. Data regarding symptomatic over- or underdrainage, infections, malposition, subdural collections, and shunt surgery were collected and analyzed. RESULTS Thirty patients (26%) experienced symptoms due to shunt underdrainage. Symptomatic overdrainage was reported in 10 (9%). Shunt adjustments were made in 43 (37%). Shunt malposition was recognized as the primary cause of shunt malfunction in 8 (7%), while only 1 infection (0.9%) occurred. Subdural hematoma was diagnosed in 7 (6%) and was treated by increasing the opening pressure of the valve in 5 patients. Hygroma was diagnosed in 10 (9%), requiring surgery in 1 patient. Overall, 17 patients (15%) underwent 19 shunt surgeries. CONCLUSION The advances in valve technology, a careful opening pressure setting, and rigorous follow-up allow a significant reduction of complications, which can be usually managed nonsurgically within the first 3 to 6 mo.
|Titolo:||Ventriculoperitoneal shunt complications in the european idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus multicenter study|
FELETTI, Alberto (Corresponding)
|Data di pubblicazione:||2019|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||01.01 Articolo in Rivista|
File in questo prodotto:
|Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt Complications in the European Idiopathic Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus Multicenter Study.pdf||N/A||Administrator Richiedi una copia|